Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Life lessons: A new chapter

Currently, I am out of a job, but looking. In a few months, I will be heading back to school for a teaching certification, an endeavor I am still a bit confused about. If you were to ask me if I wanted to become a teacher a year ago, it would have been an absolute "no" without any further discussion. Teaching brings a whole heap of responsibility attached and I have so many other passions and interests that I want to pursue and feel I could do much better at and although my teaching strategies have somewhat improved, I feel I need a lifetime (which could be dedicated to other areas that I am good at) to become a great teacher. "Teaching is difficult" I would have said and even more so you feel the pains of disappointment when you put all your effort into planning and teaching, but some students don't seem to be improving or some kids are confused, disinterested, bored and quickly losing interest. I know, make it fun! Highly discouraging when your idea of fun and creativity turns out to be a flop.

A year later the feelings still lingered and I have to make a decision about what program to pursue. Time is flying, I need to pursue graduate studies next term because I am only getting older and need to become more stable in life, have a steady income and provide for my family (parents and myself). My parents aren't getting any younger and they should be retired by now. Pretty soon I will be signing  my name in another age bracket (hint hint). Of course, I have been struggling with teaching, but it provides me stability, it keeps me challenged, I like learning and with my teaching certification doors will be opened up throughout the world for me to teach and be a missionary as I have dreamed. The idea of becoming a missionary teacher seemed quite appealing. I had begun to build up enthusiasm for teaching, enjoying the kids was the easier part, but teaching well and explaining material that the students understood and could say "yes i got it!" was the most difficult and in a way it still remains challenging for me, 

Whereas many people would say their main motivation was because they love teaching and enjoy when their students get it, my main motivation is to learn how to become a better teacher so that I can share in the benefits of when my students understand. Most importantly, I realized that teaching is a vehicle for missions and sharing the Gospel with others. The art of explaining information in a way conducive to learning is one aspect of teaching, but the other aspect of being able to influence a student by taking time out to spend with them, showing them that you genuinely care and love them for who they are and their unique abilities is the other part that God is calling me too. I am a little nervous about entering the teaching program, but this time around on my educational journey, I will enter full heartily knowing that this is a part of my mission. The other part for sure revolves around international development and creating social supports, but for this season in my life God chooses to start me off with teaching and I need to submit. Where He leads me I will follow...Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment